Monthly Archives: February 2017

Rudy Gobert was fined $ 25K for official contact

NEW YORK — Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert has been fined $25,000 for making physical contact with an official.

NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Kiki VanDeWeghe announced Gobert’s punishment Sunday.

The incident occurred after Gobert was called for fouling Giannis Antetokounmpo midway through the third quarter of Utah’s 109-95 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday. A video replay shows Gobert touching the arm of an official in an apparent attempt to get his attention while disputing the foul call.

Pistons are supplied to Andre Drummond, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

The Detroit Pistons are welcoming offers on two players previously thought off-limits — former All-Star center Andre Drummond and swingman Kentavious Caldwell-Pope — as Thursday’s trade deadline nears, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Pistons have not committed to trading either player but have also not discouraged offers from interested teams for ‎the two most prized names on their roster.

Detroit, meanwhile, has steadfastly continued to ‎pursue a new home for point guard Reggie Jackson before Thursday’s 3 p.m. trade deadline. Over the past two months, ESPN.com has reported serious negotiations between the Pistons and two teams (Minnesota and Orlando) involving Jackson, but sources said Wednesday that the prospects of a Jackson deal with the Magic this week were fading.

Sources say ‎Drummond is especially well-regarded by Pistons ‎owner Tom Gores and thus unlikely to be dealt before Thursday’s deadline. The Detroit Free Press also termed it “very likely” that Drummond will remain with the Pistons.

Yet that has not stopped Detroit from engaging with teams on Drummond scenarios this week, sources say, with the 7-footer in the first season of a five-year, $127 million contract extension signed in July.

One league source told ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne that the Portland Trail Blazers called to inquire about Drummond but quickly abandoned their interest when Detroit asked for Blazers guard C.J. McCollum in return. The Blazers, sources told Shelburne, regard McCollum as an untouchable.

Sources told ESPN’s Brian Windhorst, meanwhile, that the Pistons and Toronto Raptors have also had exploratory Drummond discussions.

The Brooklyn Nets, sources say, are another team Detroit has engaged with on Drummond. Sources say Detroit also expressed an interest in DeMarcus Cousins before Sacramento traded Cousins to New Orleans with the understanding that Drummond would have to be included in talks with the Kings had they progressed.

“Jeff talks to virtually every team in the league all the time,” Pistons coach and team president Stan Van Gundy told local reporters Tuesday night, referring to Detroit general manager Jeff Bower.

“As I’ve said before, every name on our roster has come up. That’s his job. That’s what we’re supposed to be doing. There hasn’t been a serious discussion about Andre, but that doesn’t mean there haven’t been discussions about Andre. The concern, I guess, would be from Andre’s standpoint if nobody had any interest in him.”

Asked by local reporters Tuesday night about dealing with trade speculation ‎for the first time in his career, Drummond said: “That’s just the way it is. Everybody’s name gets thrown around when you’re a high-profile guy. My name happened to be in there. I’m not mad or anything like that. I’m still here to play basketball. Whatever happens happens. I can’t control that.”‎

ESPN.com reported last month that Caldwell-Pope — who will be a restricted free agent this summer — had joined Drummond on Detroit’s short list of untouchables. To part with Caldwell-Pope, sources say Detroit would expect at least one future first-round pick and front-line player in return.

‎Despite the Pistons’ well-chronicled struggles and team tension since Jackson’s return from a 21-game injury absence to start the season, Detroit won six of nine games to move into the East’s eighth and final playoff berth entering the All-Star break. The Pistons play 13 of their final 25 games at home.

Cameron Wake’s new year deals valued at $ 19 million per source

Miami dolphin contracted Pro Bowl defensive end Cameron Wake to two years contract extension, the team announced Saturday.

A source tells ESPN Adam Schefter that this expansion is worth $ 19 million to $ 11 million.

Wake, 35, last year to overcome the adversity, from the end of the 2015 season deadly injury back, resulting in dolphins with 11.5 sacks. He made his fifth career, and therefore, one of Miami’s emotional leaders.

Dolphin vice president Mike Tannenbaum said his biggest priority is off-season to take care of his players. Wake is the first important internal signature of the offseason. Dolphins also expect to discuss contract expansion with leading wide receiver Jarvis Landry and start secure Reshad Jones. They have a one-year contract.

Miami earlier this week released the front defender Mario Williams and Earl Mitchell’s cap room.

Dolphins in the last season into the 10-6 season, since 2008 for the first time into the playoffs. They lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in the general match.

Ryan Clady in Jets down 2017 option after the free agent

New York Jets released a high-priced left-hander Ryan Krady, which started the number is an offseason list.

On Wednesday, the team told Clady’s players that he would not pay $ 1 million in the name bonus, and a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. As there was no pay bonus, Wednesday, the Jets made Krady a free agent.

Clady, 30, who was only 10 months ago in trade with Denver Broncos, also plans to trade in the last year of the contract signed last April with an unproportionate base salary of $ 10 million.

The jets cut the cap space by $ 10 million, cut Clady, which should make their salary cap in 2017 expected. Before they were about $ 7 million over the cap.

This is the first important salary dump in what number is a big overhaul. High-profile players such as Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold and Brandon Marshall can follow him out.

Jets, they tried to persuade Clady to fail to pay, and could reapply him later. Clady, who missed the last seven games after tearing the rotator cuff and recovered from surgery.

Now they have a crevice hole on the left tackle. Ben Ijalana replaces Clady in the left attack, is a pending free agent. There is no obvious heir on the roster.

This is a rare situation in the jets’ instability.

For ten years, the left-hander was headed by D’Brickashaw Ferguson, but he retired last April. The jets tried a chance to surrender the fifth pick to the Mustang, who had a talented, injured Clady body. The jet also received the seventh round.

Clady, the first draft of the 2008 season, made four professional teams and two full-time teams in Denver’s seven seasons. Because of the foot and knee injury, he played from 2013 to 2015 only played 18 games.

The curse of injury happened again in the last season. Krady torn the rotator cuff in the third week, according to the jets, but he played for a month. It became unbearable that he was placed in the injured after the ninth race.

DE Myles Garrett said he would not play Philadelphia’s NFL

Former Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett, projected to be the No. 1 overall pick in this year’s NFL draft, says he won’t be attending the event.

“I’m staying at home,” Garrett told the Houston Chronicle.

Garrett told the newspaper he wants to experience the moment of being drafted with his family and friends in Arlington, Texas.

Garrett is projected to go No. 1 overall in the latest mock drafts by ESPN’s Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr.

The draft will be held April 27-29. The Cleveland Browns will select first.

Garrett compiled 32.5 sacks and 48.5 tackles for loss over the past three seasons for Texas A&M.

The 6-foot-5, 270-pound prospect had 8.5 sacks in 2016, playing more than half the season with an ankle injury.

Pat’s James White forgot to keep the ball after the Super Bowl champion TD

New England Patriots running back James White can’t tell you what happened to the football from the final play of Super Bowl LI.

White scored the winning touchdown in overtime as the Patriots beat the Atlanta Falcons 34-28. What happened to the ball after that is anyone’s guess, White told “The Dan Patrick Show” on Tuesday.

“I actually don’t know what I did with it,” White said. “I left it on the ground and started running.”

White is hopeful that an equipment manager grabbed the ball and that it is in the possession of the Patriots.

“I wasn’t thinking in that moment. I was too busy sprinting down the field,” he said.

White said he did keep the football from the first touchdown he scored in the historic comeback. White had 14 receptions for 110 yards and one touchdown and added two rushing touchdowns in the victory.

After the game, his teammates, including MVP Tom Brady, were quick to say he deserved a share of the MVP honor. In years past, the Super Bowl MVP award came with a car. After the Patriots beat the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLIX, Brady was awarded MVP and gave the truck to Malcolm Butler, who made the game-saving interception in the final seconds.

Brady said he would do the same this year with White — but there is no truck to give. According to an NFL spokesman, a vehicle hasn’t been part of the MVP award for the past two Super Bowls.

White was asked about Brady’s promise of the truck and said, “I haven’t actually received it yet. I don’t know how that works.”

White said, “it’s pretty cool that he’s humble enough to give me the car,” adding that Brady is a “great teammate.”

It is unknown if Brady still plans to give White a vehicle of some kind.

Antonio Brown: My plan is to finish career with the Steelers

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers have begun contract talks with star receiver Antonio Brown.

A source says optimism exists that both sides could complete a deal well before training camp. Asked this week on the Dan Patrick Show about the contract, Brown said both sides are “beginning to get it rolling” and he wants to finish his career as a Steeler.

“That’s my plan,” said Brown, who will be 29 in July.

The Steelers are generally willing to negotiate with key players entering the final years of their contracts, but those negotiations can happen at various times. Brown has one year left on a six-year deal that pays him $4.71 million in 2017. Before the 2015 and 2016 seasons, the Steelers restructured Brown’s contract by moving up money from future years. These tactic earned Brown about $10 million in advance money.

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green is the league’s highest-paid receiver at $15 million per year, with three others — Dallas Cowboys’ Dez Bryant, Denver Broncos’ Demaryius Thomas and Atlanta Falcons’ Julio Jones — in the $14-million-per-year range on long-term deals.

Brown, the first player since Marvin Harrison to record four consecutive 100-catch seasons, made headlines for the wrong reasons last month when he broadcast a Steelers’ post-game locker room scene on Facebook Live. The broadcast caught coach Mike Tomlin’s profanity-laced message after a playoff win at Kansas City.

Brown has remained apologetic for the judgment lapse. But his image appeared to take a hit, with some in the media calling for Brown to be traded.

Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey came out in Brown’s defense this week on Instagram. “Can’t hold my tongue anymore tired of all the hate, bull— stories!!” Pouncey posted. “AB is a team player loved by all his teammates especially ME! You against him you against me!”